Because winter in Milwaukee can come upon us with little or no warning, fall is the time to prepare to avoid winter emergencies and costly repairs.
- Insulate pipes in basements, garages and crawl spaces with pipe insulation.
- When leaving your home for extended periods, shut off the main water valve and drain the system by opening faucets at the highest and lowest points of the house. Make sure the heat is left on and set at 55 degrees or higher.
- If you have a vacation home that will not be inhabited during the winter months, seek the help of a professional to winterize your property. The tips listed on this site are intended for homes that are occupied continuously.
- Disconnect outside water hoses from faucets. If left connected, water in the hoses can freeze and expand causing connecting pipes to freeze and break.
- Cover outside faucets using a faucet insulation kit available at hardware stores.
- Shut off the interior valve leading to outside faucets and drain the water from the lines.